Gem State Quiz (May 6)

5 Idaho-specific questions teachers can use for current events activities

Back to Article
Back to Article

Gem State Quiz (May 6)

By William Love, Sandpoint High School

At the end of each week, my journalism students have to take a current events quiz. The questions are all multiple choice and come from sources such as the JEA listserve, CNN Student News and other places on the Internet.

The quiz always includes a few local and state questions that I research and write myself. The students usually do not like the Idaho questions because it can take them longer to find the answers than with national and international questions. (“Oh well,” I tell them the first couple of weeks. They soon get over it.)

It was suggested that I post these Idaho-specific questions on Idsja.org so that other Idaho teachers can use them in their current events assignments. So each Wednesday, I plan (hope) to post five Idaho-related questions for you to use as you wish.

Here is a list of things I ask that you keep in mind:

• My students typically take their current events quizzes on either Thursday or Friday. Because of this, I will try to post questions by Wednesday evening.
  • My current events quizzes are always “open Internet.” I want students to not only know what is happening in their world, but also develop their research skills. For that reason, I will NOT include the answers on Idsja.org. If you want the answers, email me at [email protected]. If there is enough interest, I will create an email list and send the answers out each week.
  • You will notice I have not included multiple answers for the questions. You could come up with several great reasons why I didn’t include them, but it is really because of laziness.
  • I make mistakes all of the time. (My students are quick to remind me of this … which is good!) But if I make one here, please let me know.
  • ISJA has a nice Twitter account (@ISJAMedia). Follow it, please.
  • I guarantee that I will post the questions late at some point. Sorry in advance.
  • I worked as sports reporter before teaching, so there will likely be at least one sports-related question each week.
  • As this Idsja.org feature develops, this list will probably expand.

With all of that said, here are this week’s questions:

1. What classic novella has a Coeur d’Alene School District Curriculum Review Committee recommended be pulled from high school classroom instruction and made available only on a voluntary, small-group basis?

2. Idaho was named the best rested state in the United States in a survey conducted by the company Sleep Number. How many hours of sleep do Idahoans get on average?

3. What Boise State player was drafted in the fifth round of the NFL Draft by the Miami Dolphins?

4. What day will the Idaho Legislature reconvene for an “extraordinary session” to consider updating the state’s child-support enforcement rules so they comply with a 2007 international treaty?

5. State officials revealed last week that so far the Idaho Standards Achievement Test by Smarter Balance is taking 10th grade students considerably less time than the 10 hours that was expected. Based on tests taken between March 30 and April 23, what was the average length of time it took students to complete the new ISATs?