Idaho students win at national convention

Borah, Sandpoint team up for 7 awards

Back to Article
Back to Article

Staff from the Cedar Post gather after the JEA's awards ceremony at the National High School Journalism Convention in Seattle. The Cedar Post is a student-run news organization from Sandpoint High School.

Seven student journalists from Idaho won individual awards at the JEA/NSPA National High School Journalism Conference in Seattle in early April.

The students from Borah and Sandpoint high schools won for their talents in writing, art, photography and design during the JEA’s Write-off contests. The list of winners included:

• Demi Nicole Manglona, Borah, Excellent, Review Writing
  • Brooke Kerley, Excellent, Sports Writing
  • Gabriel Abille, Borah, Honorable Mention, Editorial Cartooning
  • Sam Aguirre, Sandpoint, Excellent, Literary Magazine: Layout
  • Mackenzie Packer, Sandpoint, Excellent, Sports Action Photography
  • Lauren Sfeir, Sandpoint, Honorable Mention, Photography Portfolio
  • Amanda Wikoff, Sandpoint, Honorable Mention, Newspaper: Layout

Also at the convention, Sandpoint High’s student-run newspaper, Cedar Post, finished third in the NSPA’s Best of Show contest for broadsheet newspapers.

The next national convention is scheduled for Nov. 16-19 in Dallas. San Francisco will host the 2018 spring convention from April 12-15.